Monday, January 22, 2007

Get a Job You Damn Dirty Hippie

I submitted my first job application at work today!

Within the agency, of course. It's the one thing besides checking the weather that you're allowed to do online.

I'm a latecomer to the job-grazing scene, though. Most of my cohorts apply for other jobs almost reflexively, like sneezing. Some of them might do it without even noticing. Yet very few of them actually get these jobs, to the point where I wonder if the agency has a clandestine policy of not hiring state employees.

More likely, those state employees who apply for lots of other jobs are demonstrating ambition - not a quality the state holds in particularly high regard.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, my supervisor abruptly summoned me to my one-year performance evaluation today with just under 30 minutes' notice. And I thought I was impulsive! Embarrassingly, the review was extremely good, as far as I can tell just because people say I am cooperative and friendly and pleasant to deal with. But what do I actually do?!

If I get an interview for this other position, I'll be sure to ask if organizing breaks and happy hours, knowing lots about the weather, and browsing job postings would go on my performance plan. I do all of these things with energy and enthusiasm. I'd be perfect!

4 Comments:

At January 22, 2007 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where does the time go? A year already? Wow.

 
At January 22, 2007 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just because I left doesn't mean you have to. Good luck with that.

 
At January 23, 2007 9:10 PM, Blogger dreadpir8roberts said...

Arrrrgh. You didn't fill the application out online did you? Might as well turn in a blank application. Good luck with it.

 
At January 24, 2007 8:29 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Heavens to Betsy, no. I downloaded the template, filled it out in Word, printed it, and hand-delivered it to a nice lady in the employment office.

I haven't worked for our agency for a year without learning anything. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home