Saturday, January 20, 2007

Artificial Mood Enhancers

Mournful weather like this is very depressing, isn't it? Does it bring you down too? I have a favorite episode of Father Ted where a suicidally depressed priest comes to visit the somewhat shallow Ted, who is enjoying the song "Shaft" too much to pay attention to his cohort's troubles. Fortunately, "Shaft" is such a righteously excellent song that just hearing it for a few minutes is enough to raise the unhappy priest's spirits completely; he leaves Ted's parochial house and goes on his way a healed and happy man.

But as he boards the bus to leave, the driver turns on the radio, which is playing Radiohead's "Exit Music (For a Film)." By the fourth bar of the song, the priest's face has collapsed into an expression of bleak and utter despair.

That's me all over, except that I can no longer hear that song without giggling.

But this weather is miserable: it's cold, it's still, it's depressingly drizzly, and it feels as if I can't get warm no matter how high the heater's turned up. Having large picture windows - undoubtedly the cheapest money could buy - in every room is probably the crux of that problem. I need some warmth and sunshine. Early this morning, I lay awake and listened to the soft, resigned patter of chilly raindrops on the window and heard in them another sad song:

Goodbye to spring, and all it meant to me,
It can never bring the thing that used to be,
For it must be you, or no one...
And so I'm through with love.


Setting the iPod on "happy" would fix everything. But no, I had to leave my headphones at work, didn't I?

3 Comments:

At January 20, 2007 9:08 PM, Blogger Annie in Austin said...

We just watched 'Some Like It Hot' the other night. Once that sad song is sung by Marilyn, things start to heat up for her - hope you soon feel warm too.

Annie the Garden Blogger

 
At January 21, 2007 9:30 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Thanks Annie! :)

I first heard the song sung by Woody Allen, of all people, in "Everyone Says I Love You."

At least today so far it isn't raining.

 
At January 21, 2007 8:26 PM, Blogger southboulevard said...

I'm ready for summer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home