Thursday, January 18, 2007

Just One More Thing...

Who could bear to leave state employment? And why?

Today was my friend Greg's last day; and a few terse haikus, written for the occasion by my friend Bill, help shed light on the reasons one might seek a job elsewhere:

Daily I move points
Bordering on pointlessness
One point too many.

Work in iPod bliss
Silent manager pops in
What was it you said?

Premeeting meetings
Ten minute subject at most
Hour of my life gone.

One day he will flip
with archeological wrath
Where are the exits?

Computer connects
the Information Highway
check weather, again.

I wonder, if Bill had worked for my former employer, would he have composed some other form of poetry? Epic Norse war sagas, perhaps.

Greg is great fun and we'll all miss him a lot - especially his boss, apparently, who was unusually demanding on his last day of employment with the State. I'd have assumed he'd just be keeping his office chair warm until quitting time, but no. "I have some things for you to work on today," his boss told him. And, this afternoon, when I swung by to get him for break, his boss was in his cube with him, looking deeply engrossed in the task at hand. "I think he was toying with me," confided Greg when he stopped into my office late this afternoon to say goodbye.

We'll miss him, but I guess we should all be glad he found the exit.

5 Comments:

At January 19, 2007 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

..and another one is gone...

 
At January 20, 2007 7:40 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Hey - weren't you supposed to be in Boston?

 
At January 20, 2007 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL ...I had to end up working this weekend. The bastards didn't want my hours. No lobsta chowda for me this weekend.

 
At January 21, 2007 8:29 PM, Blogger southboulevard said...

You do realize that you are one of the senior breakers now...that means you are basically in charge, toots.

 
At January 21, 2007 8:45 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Oh I've been playing Break Fairy for a while now. But there are still, let's see, four breakers who outrank me.

We need some new blood.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home