Sunday, December 03, 2006

37th Street

Of all the things I love about Austin, the Christmas lights on 37th Street are one of the things I love the most.

I actually lived on 37th Street with friends for a couple of months once, though it was during the summer, so I didn't get to participate in the electric bacchanal that is the Christmas light display. But I've been strolling down the street at least one night near Christmas every year. Last night my snopester friends Gayle, Kev and I walked up after a few beverages at Spider House. Gayle took pictures, but with a disposable film camera. My digital camera has devoured all the double-A's in sight, so I didn't get any.

Going this early is sort of like attending one of the final rehearsals of a stage performance. A lot of the lights are up, but several of the houses aren't ready yet. There's bare framework in front of several houses where lights will be strung. The motorcycle and the old oven are out, but haven't been decorated yet. People were out in their front yards with ladders, tools, and in one case, a backhoe. (I suppose the backhoe might be unrelated to the light display, but then again, this is 37th Street we're talking about here.)

It's spread to neighboring streets now - around the corner and down a ways, the communal display has grown over the last several years. It's a wonderful thing to see.

Afterwards we went to the Showdown for a few beers by the wood stove. Have I mentioned that I love Austin? I'll be back to 37th Street in a week or two to see it in its full glory. I'll buy some double-A batteries first.

2 Comments:

At December 03, 2006 11:02 AM, Blogger Pam said...

BEAUTIFUL!!

 
At December 04, 2006 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this what you mentioned about seeing while in Austin? Can't wait, sounds awesome :-) Maybe you'll wait and/or go again when we get there? :-) I've got your number and I'll definitely give you a call when we get in on the 16th.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home