Saturday, November 18, 2006

People Who Leave

Must they? I mean, really?

And of course they must. When people have a better opportunity somewhere else, they should take it. No two ways about it.

I hate being left behind, though. I miss Justin awfully. He's in College Station working on his master's at A&M, so I don't see him often now. I also hate not seeing Tony every day. He's still in Austin, or at least officially. Seems like every time I try to get a hold of him, he's off in some other city! And Bill is only one building over now, but he was my next-door cube neighbor for ten months, and his departure has left a painful gap in my little universe. No more Word O' the Day on the whiteboard. No more cozy lunches smoking his ass on the crossword puzzle and getting my own ass smoked on the Sudoku. Hell, I get so sad just walking past his empty cubicle every day that I probably need to give up coffee until I get used to it.

There's more probable news along the same lines, but it's not my news to post so I won't. It's on my dear friend's blog, though. It should be fair enough game to post a hint. You can find it it you want to!

I wish the place where we work were so perfect that no one would need to leave. Well, no, I don't. What would we laugh at? It's a complete freakshow. At three-martini breaks in the afternoon, we spend a lot of time regaling each other with the day's strange and fearful happenings; the exploits of the chain-smokers, the microwave-popcorn-eaters; the I-haven't-gotten-any-since-1973ers; the bodily-emissions experts. It wouldn't be right if we didn't. But people I love keep finding other places they'd rather be.

Gosh, I can't imagine why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home