Friday, October 20, 2006

Flashback

Names change, but the fundamental things never really do.

On I-65 from Nashville to Decatur yesterday, I started fiddling with the radio as the Nashville station began cutting out. I found a Huntsville station just as the announcer was proclaiming, "Ya know, folks, I sure am glad I live in America - and not North Korea! Boy, that little guy's crazy! Hoo!" and so on* - then put on Neil Diamond's "Coming to America."

Deja !#$*%ing vu... That song was very popular when I was in high school. The accompanying tagline then was "Better dead than red," but the sentiment is the same.

Not that I'm saying I would not also rather be in the US than North Korea; but the xenophobic jingoism was starkly familiar - and not something we get that much of in Austin, really.

On the other hand, I was kind of amused by the choice of song. "Coming to America" is little less than an anthem to immigration, after all. I found myself wondering if the announcer had actually listened to the words. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but somehow I suspect he's on the "Build a Fence" side of the, um, fence.

This morning I'm in Pell City, about half an hour outside of Birmingham, at my grandparents' house. I've been really enjoying my visit. For some reason, Mom was kind of possessive/protective of her parents. I had very little contact with them growing up, although she and her mother were always particularly close. Grandmother reminds me a lot of Mom - she's got a keen sense of humor and loves absurdity. She was an elementary school teacher for special needs kids and later a school counselor. She's very warm and full of stories, which she always cracks herself up telling. I've also been regaling her with tales of some of the freaks of natu^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H more unusual individuals we work with at the state. I've told her about Mr. "Stepped in My Own Turd," Mr. "Zzzzzzzzzzzzz," and the reason for that fancy new security guard, for three.

She also enjoyed Robbie's "Just grab your nuts and run!" story.

I haven't had a chance to take any pictures yet, but will post some most likely after I get home - unless there's internet access in my hotel in Huntsville tonight, I probably won't write any more till then. I am not to purchase any more overpriced wireless connections.

Do y'all miss me? See you Monday. I hope.

-------------------------------------------
*Political commentary at its highest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home