Thursday, October 19, 2006

Corporate Coffee Sucks!!

Okay. So Nashville isn't all about indie coffeehouses. I'm not amazed. I know Austin is special. So I heaved a sigh, bit the bullet, and popped my Starbucks cherry, everybody. Here I am.

$9.99 to sign up with T-Mobile for a day pass to be able to use the wireless internet here! Can you $#%!* believe it?! Whoever heard of a coffeehouse without free wireless? What is this, the Dark Ages?! And the coffee sucks. This blows. Why do we even have Starbucks in Austin?? Why does anyone go there??? For the love of God, don't go!

What do you do when you know a cabbie is ripping you off? Mine did this morning, taking the long way back from the motel to the airport, lying glibly about how the route last night's cabbie had taken was now closed, and running up about $6 more than my fare to the motel cost me last night. However, since I only had as much cash on me as the fare and a pretty decent tip should have cost, he accepted that in lieu of having to deal with my credit card. Cabbies hate credit cards. Sweet!

And Motel 6... ah, what can I say. Well, it was clean. Do you remember those TV commercials where they drop a bowling ball on the mattress right next to a glass of wine and the glass of wine doesn't get knocked over? Well, that would probably work on the Motel 6 mattress too, only for a slightly different reason. Your bowling ball might shatter though. I wouldn't recommend it if you have a fancy one of your own that you carry around with you wherever you go in case a bowling match suddenly breaks out.

Looks like somebody gets a bit cranky when she doesn't get her beauty sleep.

The lobby reeked of cigarette smoke, but I had a non-smoking room at Motel 6, which I thought was pretty funny as the only way you could tell was because both ashtrays were turned upside-down. They had little "No Smoking" stickers on the bottom. Isn't that sort of like me looking at you and saying, "You want this? Well, you can't have it!" and then smacking my ass at you?

Assuming you're into that sort of thing, anyway.

It's really pretty here. The trees are just starting to turn - not in full glory just yet, but enough to paint the rolling countryside all kinds of beautiful colors. It's a little foggy, but not cold like I was afraid it would be. And the accent! People talk with a complete disregard for the conservation of syllables.

Well, I'm off to Huntsville. I have a very nice rental Ford Taurus with leather upholstery! Ooh! Too bad I forgot to bring the CD adapter for my iPod.

Was this blog post worth $9.99, y'all? Anybody want the rest of this coffee?

3 Comments:

At October 19, 2006 10:54 AM, Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

Isn't travel fun? Even when it's not really fun, at least you get good stories out of it.

 
At October 19, 2006 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we should start a movement to run Starfuck's out of Austin. Of course they're only kept in business by the swelling numbers of suburbanites who really don't know their ass from a plastic wrapped, "Made in China" stamped, "I have to have one because everyone at my church has one," gonna-break-in-3-months-but-it-won't-matter-because-I'll-be-bored-with-it-by-then, ozone-destroying, polyvinyl chloride asshole they brought home from Wal-mart in the SUV. Oh, and "charge it!"

And yes, if Wal-mart sold assholes that's what it would be.

 
At October 21, 2006 9:48 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Actually, I'm kind of surprised Wal-Mart hasn't moved in to corner the asshole market yet. Their marketing people are sleeping on the job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home