Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Life Imitates Humor

When you get right down to it, life usually does.

In case I hadn't mentioned it before, my coworkers and I enjoy break time tremendously. It's a very fun, relaxing time and we have lots of laughs. It is the - dare I say it? - spiritual center of our day. We always joke that even if one of us calls in sick or takes a day off, we'd still come in for break.

Today is my husband's 35th birthday, so I took the afternoon off from work to do some panicked, last-minute shopping and to tidy up the place* in preparation for some of his family to drop by. I got home from shopping and discovered that he had taken the kids out to a movie and locked the apartment with our only key. The manager was out.

(I know, we've lived here since January, so you might think that at some point during the last six months, we'd have gotten around to having a second key made. But no. To be perfectly honest, we are not really getting-around-to-things kind of people.)

So I checked the clock and saw that it was about time for afternoon break, which runs, roughly, from about 2:40-3:30, or longer on a good day. And after all, I only live about half a mile from work.

And by the time I got home from break, the movie was over and my family was back. Isn't that perfect? I love it!**

--------------------------------
*"Tidying up the place:" sort of the equivalent of patting halfheartedly at Lake Superior with a hand towel.

**It might take me a few days to get all that out of my system. Sorry!

1 Comments:

At July 27, 2006 10:53 PM, Blogger Fletch said...

In the first government office that I worked in (as a summer intern), there were two mandatory coffee breaks: one at 9am (most folks got in at 7) and another at 2:30 or so. It was nice to start my morning off with a break every day, but by then end of the summer, a new manager had come in and started to make noises about there being too much break time. Damn the man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home