Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Brains Are Weird

Or maybe I should just speak for myself.

While I was out walking tonight, I passed within about 18 inches of a big white pickup truck parked at the curb. Just as I was even with the front bumper, I guess somebody inside the house hit the clicker, because the truck's lights flashed and it honked, and I damn near peed myself.

But then came the weird part: Suddenly I had this incredibly vivid memory of how terrified I was of car grilles when I was little. Terrified, even being fully aware they weren't really going to suck me in and devour me; but I could just picture it. I can remember giving a very wide berth to parked cars when I was small because their front ends were so incredibly menacing. And they growled - radiator fans, I suppose. Horrible!

As I walked on, reassembling my skin and trying to get my heartrate back out of the sudden-cardiac-arrest danger zone, I could vividly feel that terror all over again - something I haven't thought about it in ages, and would certainly have assumed was gone without trace.

Ah well. Nothing a few years of therapy won't fix right up.

3 Comments:

At July 12, 2006 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you do acid as child?

 
At July 12, 2006 9:16 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I think being a small child is pretty much indistinguishable from being on acid, actually...

 
At July 14, 2006 6:29 PM, Blogger southboulevard said...

As a child, I was afraid of storm drains and the utility access covers visible on grocery store floors. Funny...now, I don't even notice those little round covers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home