Saturday, December 24, 2005

All Tied Up in Knots

Hey! Remember Macramé?

There was a period of a year or so, back in the early 80s, when Mom was absolutely HUGE into Macramé. We had way more plant hangers than plants. And we had this glass-top table that hung from the ceiling in an elaborate Macramé framework of jute rope and earth-toned ceramic and wooden beads. There were a few rugged, rope-based wall hangings that might just as easily have been intended for climbing as for looking at. Also we had some more plant hangers. There's really not a whole lot you can do with Macramé besides make plant hangers, which is probably why the craze fizzled out after a while. Hell, even Rubik's cube had more staying power.

(A little quick browsing on the Internet tells me that the whole premise of this post is completely wrong. Macramé, apparently, is alive and well; and there are whole web sites devoted to commerce in Macramé plant hangers. I stand corrected!)

Now that I've got so many plants going, I'd like something prettier than the nasty little wire hangers they came with. And since my sister's moving out of her apartment in Austin and giving it over to me for a month, till I find a place for the family, I'll be living on my own with no cable and no Internet access.

I'm thinking about taking up Macramé.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home