Sunday, May 13, 2007

A Very Happy Mother's Day

To all you mothers out there!

Wait a minute, that didn't sound right at all.

But especially, Happy Mother's Day to my kind and lovely stepmother, Joyce; to my high school classmate, Pam; and to Annie in Austin, who featured in a write-up in the Austin American-Spaceman on garden-blogging yesterday. How awesome is that?!

Katie and her friend Jinx planned a Mother's Day picnic at Little Stacy for Jinx's mom and me today. It was a very sweet surprise, though it turned out the Kool-Aid they served wasn't spiked. Who'd have thunk it? You'd think fourteen-year-olds would be a little more resourceful. So much for my parenting skills!

Jinx's mom has a lovely new tat with Jinx's name on her upper left arm, which I think pretty well trumps anything I've ever done for Katie, or any of my kids for that matter. I've never met her before, but she was really nice. The girls went all-out: they bought a cake; they served the abovementioned virginal Kool-Aid; and they prepared a Newlywed-Game-style Q&A session designed to embarra^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H determine how well we moms knew our daughters.

Not that well, it turns out. To be fair, both girls substituted untrue answers if they thought the correct answers would be too easy. How could I know that Katie's favorite band was Social Distortion?! She was just going on and on about how The Shins are the greatest band ever just last week!

The last question the girls asked both of us was, "Why are we so boy-crazy?" I think Jinx's mom and I might both have said "Because you're my daughter!" in unison. So here's to being boy-crazy. Did anybody bring anything to put in the Kool-Aid?

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At May 13, 2007 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day to the coolest mom ever! Seriously. You're cooler than my own mom. (Mom, if you somehow found this, I still love you)

 
At May 13, 2007 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll drink to being boy-crazy.

 
At May 14, 2007 12:45 AM, Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Thank you for the greetings, Beth. It was fun to be in the newspaper - too bad the garden blogger group photo has already disappeared.

Your Mothers Day sounds excellent. Southern Comfort could have improved the Kool-Aid; Southern Comfort improves almost everything.

I would have freaked at age 14 if my mother guessed what I'd answer on a Newlywed type game - my aim back then was to keep her in the dark about what I really thought. Many years later I've realized just how much she chooses not to understand about what I really think. It's easier on both of us.

I'm glad you had a good day.

Annie

 
At May 17, 2007 11:34 AM, Blogger Pam said...

I'm waaaay late on this, but happy mother's day to you too!!

I'm thinking about getting an old tat covered up with an A squared. Cause both my daughters names start with A. And I hate the old one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home