Thursday, April 12, 2007

Share and Share Alike

This morning, as I was parking my bike in the stairwell, I met Coworker-You-Idiot coming down. He's the one who's spearheading the 10-keying project, you know - "spearheading," in this case, meaning "getting some files out of filing cabinets and giving them to other people to 10-key in, then putting the files back when they have finished."

That entire project has been put on indefinite hold because C-Y-I has to scan in some old paper maps for the time being, and is therefore too busy to do any spearheading.

He brightened. "Biking to work?" he asked. "You've got some nice weather for it!"

C-Y-I gets in his truck and drives to the other side of the parking lot to go to a different building on campus or to the convenience store. He once mentioned that he finds the parking situation at work to be very stressful; I assume because, while there are far more parking spaces than we actually need, spots within 50 feet of a doorway are in shamefully short supply. Talk about a design flaw!

I said some chirpy thing or other acknowledging that the weather is quite pleasant, and started up the stairs; but he turned around at the bottom and said, "You know, there's a locker room on the other side of the building."

And of course there's nothing wrong with him telling me this, in case I didn't know and might find the information useful, so I just smiled and said "Okay" and went on my way up to my desk.

But no. Not two minutes later he appeared in the doorway to my cubicle. "The locker rooms are really very nice," he told me. "Have you ever been in there?"

"Yes, I have," I said.

"They have nice showers," he informed me. "Sometimes, when I'm feeling stressed out during the day, I just go down there and take a shower. It's very relaxing."

Look, if I can carry this information around in my brain all day, you can deal with it, too.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At April 12, 2007 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF? Was this who I think it is? I feel like I need to take a shower now, after reading this... but I CAN'T because of reading this.

 
At April 12, 2007 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And btw, who the hell has ever experienced stress at that job?

 
At April 12, 2007 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I bet he relaxes in the shower. I shudder to think of it.

You know I was in a training class once with CYI. I don't know if you were in that class or not, but most of the people I worked with were. It was the one where CYI was hitting on the chirpy blone who was leading the class, and somehow convinced her to go to the cemetery with him over lunch.

Anyway, in that same class we were asked by chirpy blonde girl what were some things we could improve about TxDOT. Of course she was talking about communcation, work flow, etc. CYI raised his hand and said the parking situation was unacceptable because there wasn't enough shady spots.

Thanks for walking with me down memory lane.

 
At April 12, 2007 9:20 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I was in that class.

:)

 
At April 12, 2007 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so does this mean his radio headset is waterproof??

 
At April 14, 2007 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, how could I forget. "Words mean things. You just can't pick one you like better!" Classic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home