Friday, April 06, 2007

Lost and Found

We have this 400-CD changer that you use a keyboard to input the names of all the discs, right? Well, last month there was a power outage and it lost all the info. Of course the thing has gone through probably 50 power outages since we bought it almost six years ago, and this has never been a problem before. I'm thinking it's a wiring issue with the house.

So I have the house to myself this weekend, and I'm thinking, there's a weekend project for me. Listen to every. Single. CD. In the player. For about 8 seconds, you know, till I can identify it and type in the label, then go on to the next one, unless of course it's something I really feel like listening to. That should keep me busy, right?

But the keyboard that's plugged into it absolutely sucks. It always did - it was a $10 special from Office Max six years ago, and it's been sitting around collecting dust since then. Even when it was new, you usually ended up with far more than the requisite number of, for instance, the letter A. Now? It's completely hopeless. I've been wondering if throwing it repeatedly against the wall might make it decide to work better. I just entered "NIN PrettY h8 mCHINE" (it apparently used up all its As when it was new) and am beginning to think I'll just end up cataloguing my entire CD collection in l33tsp33k. LOL!

On the other hand, Pretty Hate Machine has been missing for several months and I'd just assumed it got taken out and lost somewhere. Turns out it was just in the wrong slot. Who knows what other treasures will turn up this weekend?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At April 06, 2007 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know if you rip them to your computer through iTunes it will automatically get all the info for you. The CD player is WAY out of date. Ditch it.

 
At April 06, 2007 7:32 PM, Blogger dreadpir8roberts said...

Listen to it for eight seconds to see if you recognize the disc? Sounds like a CD Rodeo.

Guess your iPod wasn't in one of the slots. You found NiN, who knows what else might be in there.

One tip for finding lost items that you know are probably just misplaced is to take a deck of playing cards and then throw them into the room, making sure they go everywhere. Then pick them up. In the course of looking for the cards, you will find all sorts of things that are out of place. And since you aren't looking for your lost item, you'll remove the mental block of not seeing the item right in front of you because you are looking for the playing cards. Of course, it is very important to make sure that you have a complete deck of cards. Hate to spend all day looking for that Queen of Hearts and she wasn't even in the deck to begin with.

I haven't actually tried this method, but it could give you something to do.

 
At April 06, 2007 8:28 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Thanks for the tip, sounds fun...

I'd settle for a better keyboard. Right now I'm listiening to TMBG PPollo 8. I hate that album. I like Apollo 18 so much better.

 
At April 06, 2007 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeez. Is it just a regular computer keyboard? I can give you a keyboard.

 
At April 06, 2007 10:28 PM, Blogger Beth said...

It's one of those PSL... you know, one of those PC2... One of the ones that isn't USB.

Hey, you and Gayle should come to happy hour at Gingerman next Friday. Yet another one of my coworkers is leaving. Do you think it's my deodorant?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home