Monday, April 02, 2007

What Do You Do?

Yesterday Katie had a friend over. They went to Big Stacy together and hung out around the house. This morning I found my iPod missing. Its little sock is there, on top of the bookcase in my room where I left it, but the iPod is gone. Combed the house. Didn't find it. And Katie mentioned yesterday that her friend just got a new iPod. What would you do??

The job posting for Elizabeth 2.0 is now online. It's slightly different from the one I got: mine stipulated that strong proficiency in GIS analysis was required, which is pretty damn ridiculous. But the new posting goes on to state that the applicant should be creative and flexible, ready to work with new technology and innovative ideas.

This is the point where the applicant turns around to see if the computer is talking to someone behind him.

The funny thing is, our supervisor has to go through this process at least two more times. Once she hires Elizabeth 2.0, she'll have to hire the third newbie to fill that position; and then she'll have to hire, finally, a new person from outside to get the group fully staffed at last. I have to tell you, I'm on the edge of my seat to find out what requirements she'll come up with next. Must be able to time-travel? Walk on water?? Squeeze gold ingots out of your butt??? And why does she seem to be hiring specifically for the qualities that ensure people will leave as quickly as possible?!?

Last I checked, my job consisted primarily of sitting around staring at construction plans and 10-keying all damn day. And I don't think I can stand it without an iPod.

ETA: Talked to Katie about it and she's seen her friend's new iPod, which is apparently a different style than mine. Hopefully I'm just an idiot and dropped it out of its sockie at some point without noticing... hey, I am a real state employee...

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At April 02, 2007 8:39 PM, Blogger Pam said...

Um, do the girl's parents not notice that she is suddenly walking around with a new ipod?

I think you have to tell them your suspicions. An friend's mother's ipod today could be something serious tomorrow. Ten years hard prison time could be in this little girl's future if you don't intervene ;-).

 
At April 02, 2007 8:46 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I edited my post - the girl's new iPod is a blue one, with the newer curvy sides, while mine's white and boxier. I'll keep searching. Maybe Anna walked off with it and forgot. Maybe Dave's in the rafters grooving to some Stereolab.

 
At April 03, 2007 12:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any word on the posting for Sara 2.0? I think my parking sticker is permanently engrained into my back window after all the rain and snow and mud it endured on the way up here. Oh well.

Tell anyone at work who envied me for leaving that I'm sleeping on the floor for the next two weeks because our mattresses wouldn't fit down the stairs of our basement apartment. On the other hand, it is likely there are some squirrels and cats out there in the garage who are quite relaxed. I suppose that makes me somewhat of a obligatory humanitarian.

Find anymore sticky notes? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home