Tuesday, January 09, 2007

One Glorious Year

My friend b.r. is now living in a picture postcard, or in a scene from a very difficult jigzaw puzzle like I used to spend all my time doing before my dad thoughtfully invented the Internet for my amusement. And on this, the first anniversary of my employment with an agency of the Texas state government, am I envious of his spectacular new job, working for a cause he really believes in, completely surrounded by intelligent, well-educated people, in an enlightened and modern environment?

Oh HELL yes. And here are 10 reasons why I shouldn't be.

10. Some of our outdated office equipment is actually vintage, and could theoretically be swiped and sold for a killing on eBay, although based on how little of it I've seen around lately, I think someone may have beaten me to that particular idea.

9. You wouldn't even believe how much I know about the weather, what with NOAA being essentially the only external website employees of our agency are allowed to visit. You need to know the chance of precipitation next Saturday in Bangor? Ask me!

8. The Town Lake hike-and-bike trail never gets old, and the Stevie Ray Vaughn statue is situated at the perfect distance to time an afternoon-break walk.

7. (related to #8) Two 45-minute breaks per day with some of my favorite people, no questions asked.

6. I live in Travis Heights. I generally walk to work instead of driving. Birds are profoundly grateful.

5. I get frozen turkey for free.

4. State employees (the real kind, not my friends and me) and their incompetent shenanigans provide nearly limitless blog fodder.

3. A wonderfully kind somebody brought me cookies to commemorate my anniversary of employment today.

2. If things get slow at work, I can always compose poetry with magnetic words and letters on my metal cabinet doors.

And the thing I am most grateful for?

1. I do not work in sales and marketing.

3 Comments:

At January 09, 2007 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an excellent list! Though I must ask, did you get the idea from my blog post tonight? I too posted a top ten list! If we both did it independently that would be a most unusual coincidence.

I'm glad you're enjoying the magnetic poetry!

 
At January 10, 2007 7:57 PM, Blogger dreadpir8roberts said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At January 11, 2007 4:03 PM, Blogger alice said...

I also say thanks every day for not having to be in politics, journalism or intergalactic space travel (which makes earthbound travel seem really really quick).

Small mercies and all that :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home