Thursday, October 26, 2006

Hell on Strings

You know you're doomed when your daughter's orchestra teacher asks a stage full of 35 fidgeting tweens, all armed with stringed instruments, "Does anybody need to tune?" and they all shake their heads.

An imperfect ending to an imperfect day; but these are the sacrifices we make for our children.

Still you have to wonder how the orchestra teacher manages this, day in and day out, without going barking mad. She played the violin pretty well herself, so she clearly has a decent ear. Cello (which Katie plays) is not that awful when played inexpertly; but a badly played violin raises goosebumps all over me and makes me dig my nails into my palms. 15 of them played in not-quite-unison has to be in violation of the Geneva Convention. Let me advise you, if you ever have to go to a middle school orchestra concert, try to avoid sitting in the front row. Not because it's any quieter in the back - it's just that you don't want the kids to see you cry.

"I hope you all appreciate how hard that was!" sang out the orchestra teacher after the last piece. I did!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home