Monday, February 27, 2006

On Being a Girl

So today as I'm going into the ladies' room to rustle me up a (ahem) feminine product, I hold the door for someone coming in behind me. She thanks me, introduces herself, and asks me if I'm new and I say yes, I've been working here about two months now. "Do you like it?" she asks.

"Yes, I love it!" I respond. "Although," laughing ruefully, "they apparently don't keep the tampon machine stocked!"

The other woman laughs and says, "I'd give you one, but since I got my IUD I don't have periods anymore."

"Really!" I exclaim, surprised. "I have an IUD and mine are if anything heavier."

"Oh," she says, "I have Mirena, the kind with the hormones. You should check into it. I really love it."

"I'll have to ask my doctor about it," I say. "Mine's due to come out in a couple years here."

So there you are: two strangers moving from introducing ourselves, to talking about what we've got up our respective hoo-hahs, in 15 seconds flat.

That, boys, is why you will never understand us.

4 Comments:

At February 27, 2006 6:10 PM, Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

How very strange. And yet, at the same time, how completely natural.

 
At February 28, 2006 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

 
At March 01, 2006 9:01 AM, Blogger Melzie said...

LOL!! So true... and as bainwen said, completely natural. :)

 
At March 01, 2006 2:12 PM, Blogger Billy said...

I'm jealous. If I tried to start whatever the male equivalent of that conversation with a stranger, I dread to think what would happen to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home