Wednesday, June 25, 2008

So, How Was It?

There's nothing else quite like an audition to make you realize you just aren't any good at anything at all and will only make an ass of yourself by trying.

My voice is scrackish and out of control and I can't sight-read my way out of a paper bag anymore. But the worst thing I've done to myself in the last two auditions is the incessant cringing. Apologizing a lot and saying "ouch" does not help! WTF is wrong with me?!?

I think I will give up music. Also, writing. Men don't seem to have worked out too well for me either, come to think of it. Plus I leave a few things to be desired as a mom. Perhaps I will join a tone-deaf, illiterate order of nuns, whose good works in the world consist solely of helping others feel more adequate by comparison.

Ooh, and they should do the Holy Grail thing of thwacking themselves over the head with boards in between humming tuneless verses. That I could manage. My Latin pronunciation is pretty good.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At June 25, 2008 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're going the Holy Grail route, you should see if Castle Anthrax has any openings. It would be a lot more fun than whacking yourself on the head with a board.

 
At June 26, 2008 12:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't stop writing, at least not the blog. I love my daily LOL!

 
At June 26, 2008 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when I picked up my horn after many years of not playing. After practicing for a short time, I said to myself "who am I kidding" and felt that I should just give up. But with some encouragement from friends, I got into a few not-too-demanding gigs. There were some rough spots, but things gradually got better. No one would think me ready for the New York Philharmonic. Well, your stepmother might, but she's biased! But in a couple of years I reached the point where amateur groups were pleased to have me, groups that I couldn't have gotten into when I first started back.

So here's some encouragement, if you really want to do it, to give yourself time and build yourself back up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home