Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Garden Quite Contrary

"Oh, Lamb's Ear is easy!" breezed the chick at Great Outdoors. "It's impossible to kill! Absolutely! Buy the lamb's ear!"


This plant is not merely dying. This plant is staggering theatrically around the room, clutching at its chest and uttering heart-rending cries of distress, pausing only occasionally to cast a reproachful glance in my direction, just to make sure I'm paying attention. But God help me, I've tried everything.

Why is it that the plants I've inherited, found, been given, dug out of a crack in Corpus, or started from clippings always grow like crazy, but if it cost money, it almost immediately dies?


Plants! Can't live with 'em, can't survive in a carbon-dioxide rich atmosphere.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At June 16, 2008 9:18 AM, Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Beth, it's very hard to keep Lambs Ears alive in a black container when it's 100 degrees! Giving them enough water to stay alive without rotting the roots can be very tricky.

My Lambs ears are doing okay planted in well-drained soil with some shade in the harshest part of the afternoon, but I killed a few plants before these finally took.

My lambs ears were a passalong plant from one of the Divas of the Dirt...and now I need to pass some back to her because hers all died.

Email me if you want to try a few passalong plants when they're dividable toward the end of summer.

Annie

 
At June 16, 2008 9:40 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Thank you!! :) I will take you up on that, and am relieved to hear that Lambs' Ears aren't necessarily all that easy.

It's not quite dead. Tomorrow I'll try repotting it in something bigger and lighter colored and find it a good shady spot... I appreciate the advice!

 
At June 18, 2008 9:15 AM, Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Good luck, Beth - it's so hard to water just enough without overwatering. The funny thing is that when planted in the right well-drained soil with a hint of dappled shade in late afternoon, Lambs Ears can be a thug in the garden.

Annie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home