Sunday, June 01, 2008

Not Remotely Interested in "Sex and the City," but...

Just out of idle curiosity, how totally psyched are you that a new Get Smart movie is coming out in a few weeks? I, for one, can't wait. But how do you feel about the casting?

Steve Carell is always good and a perfect choice for Maxwell Smart. But Anne Hathaway as 99? Anne Hathaway?!?!?

Maybe she'll be okay, but that actress really gets up my nose. Mostly this is because, as the mother of a now-15-year-old girl, I have seen The Princess Diaries approximately 5,748 times more than I actually wanted to, which is 0. I wanted to like her: she has the same name, you know, as Shakespeare's wife. And to be fair, she isn't nearly as annoying as Julia Roberts (shudder). Or Winona Ryder, who was good in Beetle Juice and Heathers, and nothing else.

I'm not sure who I would cast in that role. Barbara Feldon is a well-nigh impossible act to follow. I had a substantial girl-crush on her when I was a kid. Who wouldn't? Isn't Agent 99 everything a young girl dreams of growing up to be? She's crisply professional and intelligent; she's cool, chic, and effortlessly poised; and she's, omigod, y'all: SMOKIN' hot.

Maybe part of the problem is that Agent 99 was a product of the mid-to-late sixties, when it was still possible to be simultaneously prim, proper, and drop-dead sexy; and little white gloves, a 3/4-sleeve tailored suit, and a pillbox hat by day might easily imply a filmy negligee by night - especially in those shoes. The promise of raunchy, uninhibited, joyful, earthshaking sex was communicated perfectly well by a secretive smile. Why, back in my day, sonny, we didn't need to shave our hoo-hahs and climb out of a limousine with our legs open! Also, we tied an onion to our belts, which was the fashion at the time.

Still, I'm planning to go see the movie. I hope the special effects are awesome!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At June 02, 2008 12:39 AM, Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Hi Beth,

This is the only summer movie that my husband finds interesting so far, but he has no idea who Anne Hathaway is.

You didn't have to be a kid to look up to Barbara Feldon - Philo & I had started dating by the time Get Smart came on, and I wanted to be Agent 99, too. According to the IMDb, Barbara Feldon was mid-thirties when she played the role, but as usual today, a 45-year old guy gets a 25-year old as his female lead. I liked Anne Hathaway in the Diaries, Brokeback and Prada - maybe she'll be okay.

But I'll bet my husband would already have bought his ticket if Lisa Edelstein [who plays the head of hospital Cuddy on House MD] would have stepped into those high heels.

Annie

 
At June 02, 2008 12:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

"...Also, we tied an onion to our belts"

Nooooo...That was garlic! It kept the vampires away...or the peasants with torches, I forget now...

 
At June 03, 2008 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The reason Anne Hathaway is in the film is because most everybody under the age of 30 has no clue what "Get Smart" is outside of the fact that it was some show that was on a few decades ago. Anne is a way to hopefully bring in the younger audiences whether or not she makes the perfect Agent 99. I heard she was second in line to Rosie O'Donnell. Now that would be worth seeing!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home