Sunday, April 20, 2008

In the Subjunctive Mood for Love

The problem with atrium-style hotels, you know, is that every room door is visible not only from every other room door, but from the lobby as well. This means there's really no way your paramour can get to you without a strong chance of being seen.

Let me pause for a moment and clarify that this is entirely hypothetical. If there were a man I would take for my lover - and I am not for one moment suggesting that there might be - well, he wouldn't be here in this hotel, or indeed in this city; and in fact, I wouldn't even work with him. No, it's just that I have a very big day ahead of me tomorrow, and an even bigger three days after that, and my mind is racing, and it's vitally important that I get a good night's sleep. Especially considering the whole coffee issue I mentioned earlier.

The rendez-vous could still be managed, but it'd be extremely risky. The whole hotel is booked with our conference. So even if my hypothetical suitor were so overcome by passion that he'd crawl to me on his hands and knees, hidden from sight behind the waist-high railing, he might still encounter a coworker in the hallway. And the carpet burns would probably put him out of action anyway.

Guess it just wouldn't have meant to been.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At April 21, 2008 4:52 PM, Blogger Tommy Korioth said...

Secret rendevous are best accomplished with adjoining rooms.

 
At April 21, 2008 11:20 PM, Blogger Cheryl's BITCH! said...

I am so glad that someone realizes that the subjunctive is not a tense, but rather a "mood". Damn yer so smart.

Now can you conjugate your french verbs in the subjunctive???

que j'aille a Beaumont
que tu ailles a Beaumont
qu'il/elle aille a Beaumont
que vous aillez a Beaumont
qu'ils/elles aillent a Beaumont
que nous aillons a Beaumont

 
At April 21, 2008 11:27 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Let's see, I think that's...

"if I were to go to Beaumont
if thou wert to go to Beaumont
if he/she were to go to Beaumont
if y'all were going to Beaumont
if'n them bitchez wuz going to Beaumont
if we'm going to Beaumont"

oui?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home