Monday, March 03, 2008

Cleavage

TMI alert!

Like that's going to stop anybody.

I was a bit of an early bloomer. By the time I was ten years old, I was reasonably chesty. By the time I was twelve, I was perhaps unreasonably chesty. Toss in a few breastfed babies and the fact that when I gain weight, that's the first place it goes, and... well, you get the picture.

My sisters both grew up to be A-cups, and they are pissed.

The thing is, female body image being what it is, and general, non-gender-specific human insecurity about the things that make you, um, stand out, I was always pretty self-conscious about this particular portion of my anatomy. It took a long time for me to get comfortable with it. Well - I'm not entirely comfortable, actually. But you know what? Men seem to like them, I've noticed. So I go with it. Tastefully, so to speak.

Today is the first day of my second week on the new job. I'm in a foul mood to begin with. As much as the old job pissed me off at times, I'd been there for two years, and it wasn't the worst job in the world (we all know what that was). I'd made lots of friends, I have some great memories (NO PUNS) and it was a fun, relaxed environment in a lot of ways, as long as you didn't mind the fact that everything you did was completely pointless. So even though this job is (presumably) a better fit for me, a better division to be in, and the work is substantially more rewarding, I'm terribly homesick. Plus I just called an end to - something we won't go into. Plus I am extremely unhappy about Romeo. Plus Bill Gates is running a little behind, so PMS is absolutely kicking my ass right now. Plus I forgot to bring my thermos of coffee this morning. Plus it's cold and wet and gray and depressing out.

And now, for the punchline, my new supervisor calls me into her office this morning to tell me that my cleavage violates office dress policy. How mortifying is that?! I was so upset, I wasn't even tempted to snicker when she used the phrase "nip this in the bud." (She really did!)

She didn't mention it specifically, but she gave me a copy of the written dress code, and apparently toe rings and ankle bracelets and big dangly earrings are out, too. "This sucks!" I wailed to a friend, "they're going to turn me into a dowdy middle-aged woman!"

"Yes," he said.

So I'm going to have to go joylessly shopping for some boring clothes. Could I file for discrimination if I can't wear something that someone else could get away with, just because of the way I'm built?

Goddamn it. This sucks. Anyway, I'm done. At least I should be good on web traffic for a while.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At March 03, 2008 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tell your new boss that she's being a sexist and if she was a man, she would not mind at all...

 
At March 03, 2008 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you go back to your old job?

 
At March 03, 2008 10:34 PM, Blogger Cheryl's BITCH! said...

that sounds ridiculous. Maybe you should wear sweat pants and a t-shirt like i do to protest!

 
At March 03, 2008 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sounds good, sweat pants & a low cut t-shirt :)

 
At March 04, 2008 12:20 AM, Blogger Tommy Korioth said...

Have all your co-workers wear black arm bands in honor of the loss of a man's favorite view.

Sorry you're having a tough time. Losing Romeo sounds terrible. Don't give those bastards at work the satisfaction. Steal as many pens as you can.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home