Saturday, November 17, 2007

Marshmallows: No

I just read this Yahoo feature on Thanksgiving side dishes.

All right, fess up: who likes marshmallows?

I don't have too much problem with most other foods, using that term loosely. I think Wonder Bread is gross, but I don't care if you eat it. Cheez Whiz? Ick! Don't eat it when I'm around, and I'll pretend not to know. Cilantro sets off my gag reflex. You like it? Please, buy it all! Cool Whip? What's wrong with you?! Eat whipped cream fer crissakes! Why would you schlep a big glob of trans-fat on - oh, fine, do whatever you want. Eggplant is eh: not inedible, but given a choice, I'd rather eat Kraft mac-and-cheese, sorry. And you all know my fond, irrational feelings on candy corn.

But marshmallows are an abomination.

How can you eat these things? Not to say that they have no purpose. You can take them camping. You can poke them on the ends of sharp sticks and set fire to them. You can watch, mesmerized, as they dissolve gradually into blue and pink and lavender flames;* I don't think iceberg lettuce would do that, though you can always give it a try.

And why would you contaminate a perfectly good Thanksgiving side dish with the gelatinous little bastards? Sweet potatoes are yummy. You can chop them up and bake them in brown sugar syrup. You can mash them. I suppose you could even sautee them. They're good with turkey, gravy and stuffing, if (to be perfectly honest) a little redundant with the mashed potatoes. But if you can't have redundancy at an orgiastic holiday feast, when can you? Grandma always made up for this by also serving soybeans. Eat your soybeans! You never know when you might suffer from a wax shortage.

But marshmallows? No. They are not tasty and they are not good for you. They make hot chocolate slimy and undrinkable; they convert S'mores into S'Lesses. Rice Krispie treats? Whatever. Just try to tell me those have any nutritional value whatsoever. You might as well eat spray insulation.

Under attack next week: football. What is with you people?!?

-----------------------
*Food rule #1: If it turns pastel when you set fire to it, it isn't food.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At November 17, 2007 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn girl you sound like me now.

I LIKE IT!

 
At November 18, 2007 11:57 AM, Blogger Cheryl's BITCH! said...

I want my Elizabeth back...your starting to sound like iBilly..STOP IT!! 1 of those is enough!!! :-)

 
At November 18, 2007 12:11 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Why don't straight men ever fight over me??

 
At November 19, 2007 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were deprived as a kid, right? You do sound a little like Billy ... that's both good and bad. We only need one of him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home