Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Brown Paper Bags

One time, when I was seven or eight, my stepfather got me out of bed late at night because he had to take Mom to the emergency room. I remember her trembling, and snuggling up to her in the waiting room in my pajamas. It turned out she was having a panic attack. She was prone to those, and I guess maybe it's hereditary, though I don't get anything so severe: just, once in a while, a sickening sense of impending doom, a nasty case of the screaming heebie-jeebies in the middle of the night.

You know how people tend to establish balanced roles in their relationships? I mean, not just "relationship" relationships but any kind of ongoing interpersonal interaction. Anyway, for the last year or so I've been dealing with the panicmonger boss on a daily basis; but ever since Friday she's been calm and relaxed and cheerful. I don't know if she found another job or is just on some good drugs - or both - but maybe I'm picking up the slack, panicwise.

Or it's Robbie leaving, which will constitute a major upheaval in my daily life and is setting off some ass-kicking abandonment issues. Ugh, that terrible fear of rejection and loss and loneliness, of being left behind and unloved and unwanted... And even aside from missing him, it's just a big change, and change is scary.

Or perhaps it's a creeping terror of overwrought armchair psychology. Or it's Slappy White washing his unmentionable bits upwind of me on the bed. Or the lasagna I had for dinner.

Whatever it is, I can't sleep.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At October 17, 2007 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly ... I’d go crazy if you left before me. I guess I can consider myself lucky for being the first to leave. It’s like Bonnie and Clyde, except one has a p*nis and knows what football is. It is sad how we depend on each other to make work barely tolerable. Trust me ... as if she couldn’t be in a lower point in her career ... The PM is due for a rude awakening come Friday when she/he has a meeting with a certain someone and I will be sure (I promise you guys) that she knows how everybody feels. If all goes as planned, you will be PM free by the holidays. I hope to get you at least one day off for the holidays (unlike what she/he is wanting) to enjoy away from work. You are too good of a person to deal with useless idiots like her ... or him. *not nyuk nyuk ;-)

~me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home