Friday, September 01, 2006

Bake Sale

We can't have a holiday party on the taxpayer's dime, you know, so if we want to have festivities we have to raise the funds ourselves. There was a bake sale/silent auction held today, and I figured what the hell, I'll be a team player and bake a cake. I made a yellow sour cream layer cake with chocolate buttercream frosting. But I didn't have anything to transport it in, so I ended up lining a box with aluminum foil, putting the cake in, and pretty much wrapping the whole box to cover the top as well.

I walked up the stairs to the second floor and opened the door. Our brand-new security guard was sitting in her chair at the intersection of the two hallways that border my section, listening to her iPod and reading. She didn't look up as the stairwell door opened. She didn't look up at the sound of my footsteps. She didn't look up as I walked past her, through the doorway into my section, carrying a large, oblong, metallic object.

Your tax dollars at work, people!

Anyway, the bake sale was held by our division and played out in an interesting fashion. One person bought up almost all of the goodies for sale - including my cake - then put all the items out on the communal table for everyone to devour. That person? The assistant director of our division.

I'm a little unclear on the reasoning behind all of this, but at least my cake got all eaten up.

1 Comments:

At September 05, 2006 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is seriously one of the funniest stories on your blog ever. HA!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home