Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Raining

This is my idea of perfect weather, though you probably wouldn't want to hold a barbecue in it.

It started raining right as I was leaving work. There's an umbrella in my bag, so I got it out and put it up; but it's really just for appearances - partly because I don't want people driving by to think (or should I say realize) I'm a loony, but more because water significantly reduces the opacity of my skirt and let's face it, Riverside Drive is a fairly busy street.

The windows are all open and there's that wonderful rain smell, the smell of warm wet cement, grass and flowers and leaves and mud, and honeysuckles and herb gardens; and the sound of raindrops pattering onto the ivy carpeting the ground outside, and a little soft, far-off thunder.

Of course, the cats are a bit less enthusiastic. Slappy White pawed at the door and when I opened it for him, he gave me a reproachful look and turned away. No, Mommy. Not this outside. I wanted the dry one.

I'm thinking about changing into something a little more practical and going for a walk. Maybe Katie will want to come with me. In Travis Heights no one cares if you're a loony.

1 Comments:

At May 03, 2006 10:53 AM, Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

Ah, the rain here is still too cold to go out splashing in puddles. Soon, though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home