Monday, February 04, 2008

No Turning Back

So it's done: the new job accepted, the formal offer letter signed, my coworkers and managers notified, the letter of resignation sent and received. And I'm at home all by myself totally freaking out. I need someone to talk to - ooh, and there you are! You'll do nicely.

For all the panic and pointlessness, in a lot of ways the job I'm leaving is the most fun job I've ever had. Well, the people are fun. Some of the work was fairly pleasant. But the people are the most fun people I've ever worked with. Well, some of the people. There are a few sucky people scattered here and there, let's face it; but pointing and laughing is also a form of fun, so it's all good, right? Granted, the majority of the people I like best have already quit. But I'm still very attached to a handful of people I'll be leaving behind, and to the playful, silly, fun, wildly inappropriate work environment I've enjoyed. When I stopped by the new office late this afternoon to sign their offer letter and make it official, my new boss introduced me around. A few people had already left for the day, but it appears that the office is almost entirely female. So who am I going to sexually harass now?!?

My supervisor accepted my resignation regretfully but kindly, told me that, if it were just a matter of money, she thought they might be able to match the offer, wished me the best when I said I had decided the new position was a better fit for me, and when I said it was hard to leave because everyone is so nice, told me that it's only because I'm so nice (oof) and that I should be very proud of having built such a good reputation. Then she hugged me and started to tear up a little and sent me away.

I sure hope she never finds this blog.

The division director, when I was introduced to her, asked if I currently work in the Sheriff's group, which I do. "I hope she's not upset with us!" the division director said. "She worked with us on getting a reporting program set up. She was really helpful."

"She's an extremely intelligent person," I said, "really knows her stuff inside and out."

"She sure does!" said the division director. "And quick, too - just jumping from one thought to the next; she's really something to see."

"She can eat a whole Super Monster burrito from Freebird's in one sitting," I added.

I do get a window cube, and it's noticeably larger than my current one. My plants will be happy. I am not sure if there's enough metal cabinet surface space for all the magnetic letters, but maybe, with time, if my new coworkers are cool, I can put some of them on the big filing cabinet outside my cube and let everybody play with them. I did think it was promising that one of the already-gone-for-the-day people had a big sign up on the wall outside his cube - just a plain white sign with black lettering:

YOU ARE HERE

I guess I am.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At February 05, 2008 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Proud of you!

 
At February 05, 2008 10:09 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Congrats! I hope there'll be a happy hour. Coincidentally, I have a job offer right now, but my department is trying to get me a substantial raise to get me to stay. It seemed at first like a clear cut decision if that happens, but now I'm not so sure. Money isn't everything, but it is a lot of things. It's driving me crazy. I hope you'll be happy and I'm sure you'll be successful in your new job.

 
At February 06, 2008 9:38 AM, Blogger southboulevard said...

"I sure hope she never finds this blog."

This line was just below the bottom of the screen. When I scrolled down, it's a good bet I woke up my neighbors with my laughter...

Let me know when the HH is...no promises, as my schedule is really crammed. :/ There can always be another HH though if I can't make it.

 
At February 06, 2008 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome, congrats again. I hope it goes really well. I'm looking forward to reading about it.

Alas, the last vestiges of the break group blow away.

 
At February 07, 2008 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

... like dust in the wind

 

Post a Comment

<< Home