Monday, April 16, 2007

Grandmother

My stepfather called on my cell phone just as I was leaving work today to tell me that my Grandmother Hoskins, my mom's mom, has just been diagnosed with lung cancer... she is not a smoker; so apparently it's the less aggressive type of lung cancer; plus it was caught early; but she'll be in chemotherapy for I don't know how long; she's 84 years old, you know. She's in very good health otherwise, though, and the prognosis doesn't seem to be, you know, BAD bad.

My grandfather's obviously taken it very hard. I haven't talked to them yet - my stepfather is talking to them and my aunt to see if a family visit (we'd stay in a hotel nearby) sometime soon would be nice, or if it would just be too draining. My grandfather is much more frail and a little older and this must be, really, just as hard on him.

So, I don't really know what the purpose is of posting this since I don't really believe in the power of general prayers, good vibes, good wishes, etc., but maybe you would read this post from my visit last October and get to know my grandmother a little bit and what a warm and intelligent and fun person she is. I wish I'd written down more stories. I suppose I should maybe at least I send a thank-you for the Christmas present.

If my grandma reads that she'll laugh.

2 Comments:

At April 16, 2007 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, E, I'm so sorry. I did read that post about your grandparents and I thought it was truly lovely.

My friend died the other day, and mom's brother died last week. I've lost quite a few this past year. I hate cancer. I'm on cancer OD.

I'm really sorry that she has to go through it all. It sounds like she will do ok, but it still sucks. I hope you are able to go visit. I know how close you are to them.

 
At April 17, 2007 8:57 PM, Blogger Annie in Austin said...

I'm sorry, too, Beth- but also glad you had that visit and wrote the post. One of the other garden bloggers recently found out her mom has lung cancer, too - likewise a non-smoker. I don't know if this happens more, or if blogging means we hear more about it.

With Mother's Day coming soon, everyone is probably already amped and emotionally charged - a visit isn't likely to make anything more so, and might be a comfort.

Annie the Garden Blogger

[Re: your comment. You'd be a fun neighbor, but if Austin passes the plastic bag ordinance, what can I use as disposable gloves to pick UP the cat poop?]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home