Saturday, March 18, 2006

What's for Dinner?

God, I feel so bloated. This whole San Angelo trip pretty much centered around where we were going to eat next. Hotel breakfast buffets, fast food lunches, steak dinners, wine, beer, Hornsby's, and margaritas - getting the most bang for your per diem buck is the name of the game. And I haven't gotten any exercise since Tuesday. Gnuh! No wonder I'm depressed.

Yesterday, on the drive back from San Angelo (they did let me drive! yay!) we stopped for lunch in Llano (luncheon in Llano is simply divine, dahling) at the Hungry Hunter buffet restaurant. A banner underneath the sign stated, "Hunters Welcome!" Because, you know, otherwise you might not have been sure.

We actually only stopped there because the places we preferred didn't accept credit cards. Our Official State Vehicleâ„¢ was the only non-pickup in the parking lot. I'm not exaggerating. We three city slickers walked in and started on the buffet...

When we left I had to tell my two coworkers the joke that brought itself to mind the second we walked in the door:

Two Aggies are out hunting in the woods when they meet up with a beautiful woman. Right there, out in the middle of nowhere! They can't believe their luck. "Hey, honey," they say to her, "how's about you spend some time with us?"

She shrugs. "I'm game," she says.

So they shoot her.

Unriddled by bullet holes, fortunately, but very very full, we made our way back home. I'm looking forward to resuming my hike-and-bike routine on Monday, but it might be hard to get used to not wolfing down about 7000 calories a day.

As for San Angelo, it was a lovely place to visit and had some quite nice eateries. But I could never live in a town where a restaurant would seriously offer "freedom fries" on the menu.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home