Saturday, February 11, 2006

Happy Anniversary!

Today my father and stepmother celebrate their anniversary. I'm so excited, because I remembered! Part of my regular Valentine's Day routine is to remember that their anniversary has just passed and say "D'OH!!"

It's too late to send a physical card, and event-specific e-cards (to my way of thinking) often convey the message, "Hey, I didn't remember in time to send a real card!" But I'd like to write a bit about my parents. Especially as they represent a good 45-60% of my readership.

My father and stepmother were slightly acquainted, actually, in high school in Sodus, New York. His older sister and her older sister were close friends. They grew up, went off to college in separate places, and led completely separate lives, marrying other people and raising other families. But they became reacquainted at a school reunion several years ago, courted, and tied the knot 13 years ago today.

I count both my dad and myself as tremendously lucky. My stepmother is an amazing woman: bright, warm and funny, patient, understanding, sympathetic, generous, gentle, and kind. She's tremendous fun to hang out with because she's a great conversationalist with a wonderful sense of humor. And she's one of those people - you know the type, right? - who sort of light up a room just by being in it.

My dad is not exactly chopped liver himself. He's the most intelligent person I know, and he knows everything. No, really! I'm not just saying that because he's my dad; he really does. Try asking him something if you don't believe me. He's supportive and wise and measured and thoughtful and nurturing. My stepmother, sadly, suffers from MS, and my dad's gentleness in caring for her is a lovely thing to behold.

My dad plays French horn in a local orchestra and plays the piano as well. My stepmother is into crafts - the beautiful handmade greeting cards she creates are real works of art. They complement one another like no other couple I've ever seen and are a day-to-day inspiration for me.

So happy, happy anniversary, Daddy and Joyce! I love you both and am happier than I can say to have such a lovely couple for parents.

Now if I could just make my blog design look a bit more like one of Joyce's cards...

3 Comments:

At February 12, 2006 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So-o-o sweet of you to remember our anniversary (not 12th but 13th). Makes me feel like we're famous to be on your blog! Because of all the touching things you wrote...well, I'm reaching for the tissues. Thank you!! Now back to celebrating the day!

 
At February 12, 2006 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard to imagine a nicer "card" than this! I won't complain about the hyperbole, just soak up the love. You make our lives brighter.

 
At February 12, 2006 5:17 PM, Blogger Beth said...

13th - oops! :) I'll correct my post...

What hyperbole?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home