Saturday, August 23, 2008

Unusually Productive Day

There are two types of people in the world: people who iron, and people who think that ironing is a huge waste of time, even worse than making the bed.

Sewing, on the other hand, is a skill that will always stand you in good stead.

I bought this shirt Wednesday just to make a more modest appearance at our tour of the monastery, though in retrospect it wasn't at all necessary. We only saw two monks, and neither one of them was cute.

The shirt is a large. It's too big. But it's a nice, soft shade of green - my favorite color to wear - and in medium, the only ones they had were striped. I don't know what it is I have against wearing stripes. I just hate them. It doesn't have to be logical, okay?

So today I actually dug out my sewing machine for the first time in probably four years. It took a while to remember how to thread it, and I was worried that, being all dusty and rusty and musty, it would seize up and break a needle. I hate when that happens - partly because I don't have any more sewing machine needles anywhere - but mostly because it's sudden and violent and tends to propel me directly through the ceiling in a way that the kids find highly amusing.

But it didn't! So I took the shirt in about an inch along the side seams, and then made the back darts a bit tighter, and voilĂ ! It fits as if it had been made for me. I am so clever!

Only I washed it, and now it's all wrinkled and needs ironing. My boss is one of the ironing people. Maybe when we're on the road next week, I can sneak it in with her stuff and she won't notice.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At August 23, 2008 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah, this is funny. Today I took a shirt to a tailor because it's too big. It's an original Rockmount from the '70s I found at second hand store. The tailor speaks only broken english and we had a conversation about darts and how that's the way the Europeans do it but not the fat Americans.

She was a good tailor though. In seconds she had it pinned up exactly like I wanted it. I know little about sewing. I haven't done much myself aside from patching a hole in the tush of my union suit. ;0)

 
At August 24, 2008 2:12 AM, Blogger Beth said...

In my family we call those "escape hatches" - you never know when you'll need to make a sudden, rapid getaway... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home